Many Ecommerce systems such as WooCommerce, Shopify, Joomla and Magento allow for the adding of reviews into product pages by customers, often with a star rating and facility to write a comment.
Getting these regular reviews is very beneficial:
- Builds trust for future buyers + and provides additional information about the products from a user’s perspective
- Makes for a better user experience for customers and shapes their perception of your business, brand and products
- Adds content to the product pages keeping them refreshed – a good SEO signal for Google
- As you get more reviews your credibility grows overall
- Helps improve conversion rates
What if you get negative reviews?
Its important to remember that a few negative reviews are natural – just respond to them professionally – a website with only glowing reviews just doesn’t look natural. But too many negative reviews indicate a bigger issue with your product or business.
Notes about ecommerce product reviews
- Send reviews at the right time, eg not too soon (so that the customer hasn’t had long enough to use the product) or too late (they can’t remember enough, or lose excitement)
- If possible, send a follow-up message thanking the customer for their review.
- A/B test any communications that you send out, to ensure you have the optimal message. Track the stats for your communications (open rates, click rates etc)
- If a customer is a VERY high spender, you could add a more personal request and/or provide a personal thank you for the review
Gaining product reviews
- Don’t bribe people for reviews in any way, shape or form before hand – but you can reward afterwards with a discount or something suitable.
- Just ask – use automated follow up emails or personally follow up
- Include a request for a review as part of any follow-up documentation that you may send to the customer (eg a receipt or invoice)
Useful product review statistics
Shopify has compiled some great stats on ecommerce reviews:
- 70% of customers consult reviews or ratings before making a final purchase.
- 63% of consumers are more likely to purchase from a site if it has product ratings and reviews.
- 67% of consumers read 6 reviews or less before they feel they can trust a business enough to make a purchase.
- As many as 79% of consumers trust product reviews as much as a personal recommendation.
- 80% of consumers have changed their mind about purchases based on NEGATIVE information they have found online.
- On average, 75 percent of reviews posted on review websites are positive, and 71 percent of consumers agreed that reviews make them more comfortable that they are purchasing the right product or service.
So, grow reviews on your website; having a website full of great products but all the review panels saying “0 reviews” will probably do harm – Afterall consumers shop around when making purchasing decisions and they read reviews. I do, you do, your customer does.